Wood is a precious raw material with an excellent attenuation value. A high thermal insulation power allows not only to have an excellent living comfort, but also to save energy. A double advantage that is particularly noticeable in winter: thanks to the FiberTherm products, the home retains its comfortable warmth for a long time, because the extraordinary thermal-insulating characteristics of FiberTherm fiber wood materials avoid heat loss. The natural porosity and the composition of the fibers make the wood a particularly effective insulator.
Thanks to the fiber wood you can enjoy a mild temperature even on hot days. The attics in fact tend to heat up a lot in summer because the roof captures the warmth of the sun on a very large surface. Wood fiber products have a higher weight than, for example, glass wool and can offer greater resistance to solar radiation (greater heat storage capacity). The daytime heat is then released only in the evening hours, cooler.
With their high weight and porous structure, FiberTherm fiber wood insulation materials are excellent for noise absorption, because increasing mass increases acoustic insulation. This applies to both walls and roofs, where FiberTherm insulation materials are used interposed on the beams or above the planks. Furthermore, the porous structure of the fibers has positive effects on the sound-absorbing action. Acoustic protection is also important for floors and intermediate floors. In these cases, FiberTherm Underfloor and BitumFiber have ideal characteristics for airborne sound insulation and impact sound insulation.
The wood burn. This also applies to FiberTherm fiber wood insulation materials. However, the FiberTherm fiber wood has a very positive fire behavior:
• FiberTherm fiber wood insulators always contain a natural flame retardant additive. It is ammonium phosphate, a mineral salt consisting of phosphorus and nitrogen also contained in some foods.
• In case of fire, a superficial carbonized layer is created that prevents the rapid combustion of the fiber wood, slowing the spread of the fire. With fire, many traditional insulating materials melt very quickly. Combined with suitable coatings FiberTherm can be used to create buildings with a fire resistance duration of up to 90 minutes; in other words, a fire would take 90 minutes to penetrate the building.
• In case of fire, the harmful gases emitted by FiberTherm fiber wood insulators are considerably lower than those emitted, for example, from organic foams.
In summary: the wood, although it can burn, provides high fire protection.
The structures should be made open to diffusion in order to guarantee the regulation of indoor and outdoor air humidity. In this regard, FiberTherm fiber wood insulation panels are the optimal solution, as they are made of high quality insulating materials that are open to diffusion and, thanks to their hygroscopic properties, reduce the risk of damage to the building envelope and guarantee a healthy and pleasant indoor climate.
The FiberTherm attic and wall panels are hydrophobic, that is, water-repellent. In products such as FiberTherm special and FiberTherm universal, rain does not penetrate, but it slides off the surface. The panels, with a sealed profile around the entire perimeter, shelter from rain and wind, while the insulating panels in fiber wood are particularly permeable to steam and therefore prevent harmful accumulations of moisture.
Can be used as temporary cover for several weeks
FiberTherm fiber wood roof panels can be laid directly on beams without batten and offer a robust weather protection right from the start. The special male and female profile guarantees the tightness of the panels, which can therefore remain exposed to the elements on roofs with an inclination greater than 18°. No additional attic film are required. In a single work phase, three objectives are achieved: "Anti-wind layer, second layer impermeable to water, insulation". As attic panels (type UDP-A) for the renovation of buildings can be used as temporary cover, in new buildings under certain conditions even up to 12 weeks.
Reduction of building thermal bridges
Even with thinner panels, an effective reduction of thermal bridges is achieved by laying above the beams. It isolates the upper side of the beams, which remain therefore warmer, greatly reducing the danger of condensation.
Additional insulation above the beams
In old buildings the roof beams are often undersized, to the point that with a simple insulation system between the beams it is not possible to obtain an adequate thermal insulation. With an insulation package over the beams it is possible to achieve state-of-the-art roof insulation without sacrificing the living space under the roof. Sound insulation is also improved.
FiberTherm fiber wood insulation also allows you to enjoy your home more. In winter, FiberTherm fiber wood insulation materials create a comfortable climate, as they surround the house and prevent the heat created inside from dispersing. In a well-insulated construction it also automatically increases the temperature of the inside of walls and ceilings, and the effect is immediately evident:
• Higher wellness: evenly warm walls release more radiant heat. Since the radiant heat is particularly comfortable for people, it is often possible to have the same feeling of well-being with a slightly lower room temperature. Positive side effect: lowering the room temperature by one degree means reducing energy costs by approximately 5%.
• Protection against moisture: no condensation forms on the hot walls and there are no wet areas that favor the appearance of mold. This prevents mold from the beginning.
• Less air movements: in contact with external walls that are not isolated, the interior air in the room cools down and down towards the center of the room where it heats up and rises, thus creating unpleasant movements of air. In a well-insulated building the air in the room is still, we feel better, and the dust is shaken less, with positive effects for those suffering from allergies.
FiberTherm products are ecological from many points of view. Wood fiber helps save energy by reducing the harmful effects of energy production on the environment. With FiberTherm insulators, buildings that comply with passive house standards can be constructed without problems, and energy savings of around 80% can also be achieved with remediation.
FiberTherm fiber wood contributes to the reduction of CO2, responsible for the greenhouse effect. In the growth phase, plants capture the carbon dioxide of the atmosphere. Thus a tonne of CO2 can also be trapped in a 1 m³ of wood. Throughout the product life cycle this carbon dioxide will remain stored in the wood. The FiberTherm insulation required for the insulation of a medium-sized independent house has stored a quantity of carbon dioxide equal to that emitted by a small car in 50,000 km.
But ecology starts with FiberTherm already with procurement and production. The wood used for our products comes from forests managed responsibly according to the strict rules of the FSC (Forest Stewardship Council) or the PEFC (Program for the Endorsement of Forest Certification Schemes). In this way we are sure that our wood comes from forests managed in a sustainable and socially responsible way. At the production sites, we protect the environment through closed-cycle water management and ecological disposal systems.